China now features on the fashion map! All thanks to the country’s First Lady Peng Liyuan. She made heads turn when she recently accompanied her husband President Xi Jinping on their maiden visit to India.
When it comes to leaders’ wives Peng Liyuan is considered stylish with a great dressing sense, and is often been compared to US First Lady Michelle Obama. Peng Liyuan became an instant internet sensation worldwide with her blush pink shift dress on arrival, following it up with a formal cream jacket dress for the dinner at Sabarmati.
Here are some fascinating facts of this 51-year-old fashionista…
- Peng is a well-accomplished folk-singer and a household name in China for her television opera success and is part of Xi’s diplomatic charm offensive in all his foreign visits making waves with her colourful attires and social calls on leaders’ wives.
- Peng was was born in a small town in the Chinese province of Shandong and joined China’s People’s Liberation Army at age 18 in 1980. She rose up the ranks to hold the title of major general.
- She became popular as a soprano singer from her regular appearances on the annual CCTV New Year’s Gala. This is highly widely viewed mainland Chinese television program that airs during the Chinese New Year.
- She is listed as the 57th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes. Peng is also a WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS.
- She has featured in Vanity Fair’s best dressed list last year.
By: Jeremy Cabral